Friday, March 7, 2014

Fig-Mustard Jam..

It is February and I convinced myself, that I absolutely had to make a fig-mustard jam.
What I didnt think about was, that in February is no fig season and ONE fig costs up to $3 at the market. That was too expensive for me so Plan B came to use. My attempt to make jam out of dried figs.


recipe


Jam made out of dried figs proved to be pretty tasty too. Besides you dont have to add extra sugar, since the sweetness of the dried figs already is concentrated.

Fig-Mustard Jam

1.1 Ibs dried figs
2 tablespoons mustard flour
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
water


1.     Cut the dried figs into little pieces and cover with water in a pot, let boil briefly and let soak over night.

2.     Add mustard flour and balsamic vinegar on the next day.

3.     Purée everything.

4.     Add some seasoning and maybe add a little water, until the mass reaches a jam-like consistency.

5.     Fill boiling water into prepared preserving jars, empty glasses and fill right away with hot jam up to the brim. Lid on and let cool upside down.

Goes very well with cheese and meat dishes.



Back to top

No comments:

Post a Comment