Thursday, November 14, 2013

Out of old make new.. Irmas bedroom furniture..

When I was 8 months pregnant, Vladimir and I moved with kit and caboodle into a family friendly apartment.
At the perfect time I got the often heard of energy boost during the last weeks of the pregnancy.
Vladimir is self employed and had to work from morning until late evening. So I could run riot as I pleased in our new home. I unpacked boxes, organized everything and found the right places.
It went even so far, that I washed all our clothes before I put them in the closet. In retrospect that was great, but if I think about it, I was nuts.
Just nesting.

During that time I also painted some furniture for Irmas bedroom. Old furniture, that we wouldve thrown away otherwise, had a new purpose.

To paint/lacquer the furniture I used recommended paint on water basis.  It is so low in odor, that you can paint in the apartment without problem and without strain your lungs.
Then you only need a brush for the edges and a foam roller for the big areas, so they're  smooth.


DIY redo furniture


This huge chest is actually a fallen over closet corpus, that before painting shone in a worn out, cold white. I wanted to burn that ugly thing, but Vladimir had the idea to make over the closet corpus and turn it into a bench.

While I painted diligently, my mom helped sewing the pillow cases and a new cover for the old foam mattress. The foam mattress was in my parents attic. It got washed and cut into the tight size.
Soon Irma can frolic and climb around and the chest has a lot of storage to put toys in it.


DIY
Redo a closet corpus to a chest



My parents bought the dresser over 30 years ago. As my mom likes to say, even back then the dresser was cheap furniture and was only bought, to be able to through it away without a guilty conscience when something better came upon. Unexpectedly the dresser followed every move, until I took it with me into my student flat.
From the original dark brown I painted it bright red, then piggy pink and now old green. My dad drilled a couple knob holes into it, so we could screw in the colorful ceramic knobs.
And so we still didnt get rid of that thing.



DIY

DIY




The little wooden chest was already standing in my kids bedroom. Now it fit perfectly to Irmas golden princess mirror.



DIY

DIY
DIY























Back to top

No comments:

Post a Comment